Scotland Unofficial Matches 1971-1990

Overview Official Matches
Overview Unofficial Matches
Unofficial Matches 1964-1967

Wednesday 27th January 1971 (Ibrox Disaster Benefit Match)
Referee: William Anderson (East Kilbride, Scotland)    
Crowd: 81.405, Hampden Park, Glasgow
Goals: 0-1 Gemmill (10), 1-1 Best (29), 1-2 Lorimer (84)

Peter Philip Bonetti (Chelsea), William Pullar "Sandy" Jardine (Rangers), John Greig (Rangers) capt., Robert White 
Murdoch (Celtic), William McNeill (Celtic), David Bruce Smith (Rangers), William Henderson (Rangers), John Hughes 
(Celtic), Robert Charlton (Manchester United), William McClure Johnston (Rangers), George Best (Manchester United).

James Fergus Cruickshank               (Heart of Midlothian)
David Hay                              (Celtic)
Thomas Gemmell                         (Celtic)
Patrick Gordon Stanton                 (Hibernian)
Ronald McKinnon                        (Rangers)
Robert Moncur                          (Newcastle United) capt.
Peter Patrick Lorimer                  (Leeds United)
Archibald Gemmill                      (Derby County)
Colin Anderson Stein                   (Rangers)
John O'Hare                            (Derby County)
Charles Cooke                          (Chelsea)

James Philip Craig                     (Celtic)      for Ronald McKinnon (46)
Thomas McLean                          (Kilmarnock)  for John O'Hare     (86)

Notes:  On 2 January 1971 66 people died and over 200 were injured leaving Ibrox Park towards the end of the 
        traditional New Year Rangers versus Celtic match. The Lord Provost of Glasgow, Sir Donald Liddle, set 
        up the Ibrox Disaster Fund for the benefit of the families affected. This match was played in aid of 
        the fund and the proceeds contributed approx. £40,000 to the total raised. 
        On 3 February 1971 Scotland were due to play Belgium in a European Championship qualifying match. As a 
        consequence Bobby Brown, the Scotland manager, was given first choice in selecting players from Rangers 
        and Celtic for the Scotland XI as it was an opportunity for a warm-up match before they travelled to Liege 
        the following week. He was, however, asked not to select John Greig (Rangers) so that he could captain the 
        Rangers/Celtic Select.
        Gordon Banks (Stoke City & England), Bobby Charlton (Manchester United & England), George Best (Manchester 
        United & Northern Ireland) and Wyn Davies (Newcastle United & Wales) accepted invitations to play for the 
        Rangers/Celtic Select. In the end, Gordon Banks was forced to withdraw as he had a club cup replay 24 hours 
        beforehand and Wyn Davies withdrew with an ankle injury. Peter Bonetti replaced Gordon Banks and John Hughes 
        replaced Wyn Davies.
        The players did not receive a match fee and Queen's Park FC did not make any charge for the use of Hampden 
        Park. The referee at the Rangers v Celtic match on 2 January 1971, Bill Anderson, was invited to officiate 
        at the match.

Sunday 16th April 1978 (John Greig Testimonial Match) RANGERS – SCOTLAND XI 5-0 (1-0) Referee: Ian Foote (Glasgow) Crowd: 65.000, Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow Goals: 1-0 Johnstone (1), 2-0 Greig (60), 3-0 Russell (63), 4-0 Russell (74), 5-0 Greig (80) RANGERS: Peter McCloy, William Pullar "Sandy" Jardine, John Greig capt., Thomas Forsyth, Colin Macdonald Jackson, Alexander MacDonald [sub: Kenneth George Watson 46], Thomas McLean [sub: Derek Strickland 46], Robert Russell, Derek Joseph Johnstone, Gordon Duffield Smith, David Cooper. SCOTLAND XI: James Anton Blyth (Coventry City) John Jack Brownlie (Hibernian) Brian John Whittaker (Partick Thistle) Donald Sandison Masson (Derby County) Gordon McQueen (Manchester United) Bruce David Rioch (Derby County) John Neilson Robertson (Nottingham Forest) Ian Andrew Wallace (Coventry City) Joseph Jordan (Manchester United) Richard [Asa] Hartford (Manchester City) Archibald Gemmill (Nottingham Forest) Subs: Luigi (Lou) Macari (Manchester United) not used Notes: This was the Testimonial match for John Greig MBE. He played and captained Rangers for 17 seasons making 755 competitive appearances (120 goals). He won 44 Scottish caps and captained his country 15 times. The match was also an opportunity for Scotland manager Ally MacLeod to have a warm-up game for the Scotland team prior to the Home International Championship and the World Cup Finals in Argentina. The car taking the three Manchester United players to the match was held up by heavy traffic. The start of the match was delayed for 20 minutes while the players' car was given a Police escort. Rangers' players Derek Johnstone and Tom Forsyth had changed into Scotland kit to replace Joe Jordan and Gordon McQueen in the Scotland team if they did not arrive. However, the Manchester United players eventually appeared and Johnstone and Forsyth changed back into Rangers shirts.
Wednesday 19th April 1978 (Friendly match) HIGHLAND LEAGUE SELECT – SCOTTISH FA REPRESENTATIVE XI 2-2 (1-0) Referee: William P Knowles (Inverurie, Scotland) Crowd: 4.301, Kingsmills Park, Inverness Goals: 1-0 Urquhart (43), 2-0 McIntosh (65), 2-1 Sneddon (78), 2-2 Cramond (85) HIGHLAND LEAGUE SELECT: Bobby Gray (Keith), Ian Bruce (Buckie Thistle), Gordon Buchan (Elgin City), Doug Considine (Huntly), Dave Cochrane (Nairn County), Peter Corbett (Caledonian), Jim McKay (Ross County) [sub: Mike Winton (Keith) 89], Charlie Duncan (Inverness Thistle), Billy Urquhart (Caledonian), Ray McIntosh (Caledonian), Ian William Wilson (Elgin City). SCOTTISH FA REPRESENTATIVE XI: James Garven Stewart (Kilmarnock) Alan Sneddon (Celtic) Robert Sime "Roy" Aitken (Celtic) Gregor MacKenzie Stevens (Motherwell) Robert Reid (St.Mirren) John McMaster (Aberdeen) Eamonn John Bannon (Heart of Midlothian) Anthony Charles Fitzpatrick (St.Mirren) Francis Peter McGarvey (St.Mirren) David Alexander Provan (Kilmarnock) George McKinlay Cassidy McCluskey (Celtic) Subs: Paul Clarke (Kilmarnock) for Robert Reid (20) Gordon Alexander Cramond (Ayr United) for David Provan (46) Notes: Scotland manager Ally MacLeod selected a team of "players for his tomorrow" for his assistant, John Hagart, to take to play a team representing the Scottish Highland Football League: the part-time, senior professional football league in the north of Scotland. Six players from the match went on to play for Scotland in official matches. In 1987 Ian William Wilson (Elgin City) won 5 full international caps for Scotland whilst playing for Leicester City and Everton. From the Scotland team Stewart, Aitken, Bannon, McGarvey and Provan were capped.
Saturday 18th August 1990 (Scottish Football League centenary match) SCOTLAND XI - SCOTTISH LEAGUE XI 0-1 (0-1) Referee: James McCluskey (Stewarton, Ayrshire) Crowd: 15.085, Hampden Park, Glasgow Goals: 0-1 Gillhaus (12) penalty SCOTLAND XI: Andrew Lewis Goram (Hibernian) Stewart McKimmie (Aberdeen) David McPherson (Heart of Midlothian) Maurice Daniel Robert Malpas (Dundee United) Gary McAllister (Leeds United) Paul Michael Lyons McStay (Celtic) John Angus Paul Collins (Celtic) Stuart David Munro (Rangers) Patrick Kevin Francis Michael Nevin (Everton) Alistair Murdoch McCoist (Rangers) Robert William Fleck (Norwich City) Subs: Israel [Campbell] Money (St.Mirren) for Andrew Goram (nk) Christopher McCart (Motherwell) for Paul McStay (nk) Gary Mackay (Heart of Midlothian) for John Collins (nk) Robert Sime "Roy" Aitken (Newcastle United) for Stuart Munro (nk) John Grant Robertson (Heart of Midlothian) for Robert Fleck (nk) SCOTTISH LEAGUE XI: Theodorus Antonius Gerardus (Theo) Snelders (Aberdeen) [sub: Patrick Joseph Bonner (Celtic) minutes nk], Michael [Gary] Stevens (Rangers), Miodrag Krivokapic (Dundee United) [sub: Christopher Barry Morris (Celtic) minutes nk], Fred van der Hoorn (Dundee United), David Alexander James Robertson (Aberdeen), István Kozma (Dunfermline Athletic) [sub: Thomas Boyd (Motherwell) minutes nk], Paul Lambert (St.Mirren), James Edward McInally (Dundee United), Robert Connor (Aberdeen) [sub: William James Alexander McKinlay (Dundee United) minutes nk], Johannes Paulus (Hans) Gillhaus (Aberdeen), Charles Nicholas (Celtic) [sub: Keith Arthur Wright (Dundee) minutes nk].

Overview Official Matches
Overview Unofficial Matches
Unofficial Matches 1964-1967

About this document

Many thanks to Andy Mitchell and Keith Warsop for their own detailed research ´ that we have been able to use.

Prepared and maintained by Douglas Gorman and Gabriele Tossani for the Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation

Authors: Douglas Gorman and Gabriele Tossani (gabrieletossani56 at
Last updated: 27 Aug 2020

(C) Copyright Douglas Gorman, Gabriele Tossani and RSSSF 2020
You are free to copy this document in whole or part provided that proper acknowledgement is given to the author. All rights reserved.